Skip to main content

Beyond Decorating Your Classroom

 

When preparing our room for our students this upcoming fall, we are always looking for meaningful ways to make our walls as appealing and fun as they are instructional. Our classrooms tend to be a music theory, music history, and inspirational book all at the same time. I know that some of us are going to be teaching on a cart, this idea that I am sharing with you today can translate to that format too. 

During my first year of teaching full time, I was at a brand new school, which put me in charge of buying everything for the classroom. It was an extremely stressful and exciting time.

As you all know, anchor charts and posters of famous musicians are always part of the list of materials to get, so I did. When this arrived I felt that the packet for composers was incomplete. Honestly, I have always felt this way and if you want to add female composers, you need to buy a different packet. For this reason, I created my own. I’m blessed with a room with generous space and I display my famous artists in a timeline, starting from the Renaissance to today. Here are the ones I use, I just put them in a very simple slide presentation. Please make a copy for yourself if you are interested in using this resource. When sharing about notable musicians on a cart you can do that through a Slide or PowerPoint presentation.

In a culturally responsive classroom, our students need to find themselves represented on our walls, as well as in the books we read, and the music we sing and play. I enjoy creating opportunities for our students to discover and explore all the possibilities available to them. Therefore, when choosing which musicians to showcase in our rooms, our list should all look different. Our walls of composers should be different and should go beyond the composers traditionally featured.

This is the criteria I used when looking for artists to feature.

  • I looked for artists that represent the demographic of my students and beyond, and when available I use pictures of them at their young age. I work at a bilingual school with a heterogeneous population of Latinx and Anglos. They are well represented in my wall.
  • I looked for diversity in gender. I try my best to showcase men and women artists equally represented.
  • I looked for artists that represent a variety of music styles, roles and genres. I don’t limit my wall to classical and orchestral music, as all music have the same value within their own context. Classical music is equally important than  Cumbia from Central and South America or Plena from Puerto Rico. These musics simply follow different standards and compositional norms than eurocentric music and they play a different cultural role.
  • I feature more than composers of orchestral music, I also showcase choral composers, instrumentalists, singers, producers, and more. Music artists in a general sense. Music offers so many opportunities!
  • I looked for artists they can recognize. I want my students to feel that their taste and their music knowledge is valued and acknowledged.
  • I also feature artists that are meaningful to me personally. All of my students know my love for Selena. Her music is part of the soundtrack of my childhood as it is Smetana’s Moldau and Chopin’s piano works.
  • I looked for my friends. We all have friends that are active performers. I am always interested in showing them the different levels of success and having the opportunity to have conversations with those artists they see on the wall. For example, my husband, a jazz composer himself, went to graduate school with Angela Parrish, she is making it in LA and you can hear her sing in the movie La La Land. I am sure, if I ask her, she will video chat with my students. My husband is also on my wall, and I play a game with my student where they try to guess who he is and they need to tell me in secret and not tell others. It goes on and on and keeps them looking at all the amazing artists on the wall. My wall is alive and active. It is a conversation starter.
  • I looked for famous young musicians from the past and present. I want them to get inspired and to know that if they have a desire, a talent, and work hard they too can achieve success at an early age. For example, you will find Joey Alexander on my wall, the young jazz piano prodigy from Indonesia. He is barely 17 and has been at the Grammy’s several times.
  • Because my wall is in a timeline, and the traditional composers are part of the music timeline you can find, Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Chopin, Smetana, Rachmaninoff, Prokofiev and all of the ones that you would normally see. But they are in the context of a timeline and representing a region and tradition in the world.
If you get stuck, like I did when looking from artists from Asia, ask your friends. I keep in touch with many friends from the universities I’ve been to and they help me with suggestions.

Make your wall of artists more powerful by creating a playlist with the music of the people on your wall. The opportunities are endless!

Comments

  1. Thank you for a wonderful resource for our music classrooms. I've wanted to make a timeline like this and you have made the impossible possible. Thank you for sharing it with us and for all you do. Your students are lucky to have you as their teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your article shares many common values and ideas with the Musician of the Month Project. I invite you to check it out at www.musicianofthemonthproject.com.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! I have the older version of your notable musician posters and LOVE them. I just looked you back up to make sure I could give you credit when talking about them and saw your new ones! Do you have an venmo? I would absolutely like to pay you for your time and effort. I'm not sure I'll get a notification if you answer here, so feel free to email me! CooperA@chelmsford.k12.ma.us. Thank you again! Amanda Cooper, @SouthRowMusic

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Music of BBIA Peoples in the General Music and Choir Room

Music of BBIA peoples in the General Music and Choir Room (BBIA stands for Black, Brown, Indigenous, Asian) As the discussion about the inherently racist aspects in the origins of minstrel repertoire continues, I find that I need to create a list of alternative repertoire along with reviewing which songs I will probably not use anymore. In my elementary classroom, there is no space for them. As an elementary teacher, I rarely find the appropriate space to have discussions about specific pieces of music and their historical context of injustice, discrimination, and dehumanization of a race. I also don’t feel I have the tools yet, I am working on it, to guide this kind of discussion with my upper elementary students and their families. For these reasons, I am excluding these pieces from my curriculum.   Stories are important and they help us relate to others' reality and allow for a plethora of diverse voices. For these reasons, I tell you a little bit about me so you can understand

Be an Anti-racist Music Teacher

The current challenges of our society are forcing us, in a good way, to reflect on our teaching philosophy and practices. We are asked to revise our curriculum and our own intercultural competence in order to foster a more culturally responsive classroom. Here is an essential question: How do I become an Anti-Racist teacher? Here is a great definition: Anti-Racist Pedagogy: 1.“It is a pedagogy that is grounded in deep self-interrogation of your role in upholding White Supremacy and internalizations that come from being socialized in a racist society. It evaluates areas of racist thought that result in behaviors that cause students to have to navigate, suppress, and ignore moments or environments where racism is apparent. 2.It is a pedagogy that is undergirded by efforts outside of the classroom that focuses on antiracist engagement. It focuses on changing “policy instead of groups of people.” A Pedagogy for Living by Jason A Dungee. Choral Journal Volume 61 Number 4, 2020 Being more in

Los Palos. A Dominican Musical Expression.

As a culturally responsive, relevant, and ABAR (Anti-Biased Anti-Racist) teacher, my praxis is always evolving. One of my goals is to guide my students through the discovery of their cultural identity. This guided process is aligned with the two SEL Standards of Self-Awareness and Social Awareness, as well as our 2014 Musical Standard of Connecting specifically.  I find that some of my students mistakenly suggest that they “do not have a culture." This misconception is due to their limited view of what culture entails. To them, culture is colorful dresses, beautiful songs, energetic dances, yummy foods, and interesting celebrations. However, this is what we consider to be Surface Culture. As I consider implementing culturally responsive strategies in my teaching, one of the challenges that I typically encounter is how limiting the musical curriculums available to us can be. To address this, I am always asking questions and consulting cultural bearers, community stakeholders, and s