Skip to main content

Promoting Students' Agency in the Music Classroom


Hi all, I have been away from this space for a while. 2021 was absolutely crazy. 

2022 brings hopes of getting back to the things that I enjoy most. Writing about my experiences in the music classroom is one of them. 

I would like to start the year by sharing with you some of the strategies and activities that worked for me in the classroom to promote students' agency. 

At the start of the 2021-2022 school year, I made it my goal to focus on creating a space for my students where they could explore their identities. Our mantra is, "every day is a new beginning and I get to choose to show who I am." I asked them "How do you want to be seen?" 

Whether we are listening or making music, navigating how to play various instruments, getting into ensembles, or composing a song, our identities are bound to come out at every step of each activity. 

With all the trauma we have endured the past two years, I must create trauma-informed lesson plans that purposefully embed social-emotional competencies at every step to allow my students to embrace their humanity amid our current reality and to learn how to identify, name, and self-regulate their emotions. Here is a great handout and checklist of social and emotional competencies. 

According to the sociology dictionary, agency is "the capacity of an individual to actively and independently choose and to affect change; free will or self-determination."

To me, agency and assertiveness are the paths to liberation. 

Here are ways I promote students' agency in our music classroom.

  • Each class creates its own set of norms
This year, I stopped using the generic music norms. The MUSIC norms acronyms promote the one size fits all culture. I am no longer perpetuating conformity or compliance in our music room. Each class is different, has different needs, and reacts differently to our environment,  so why use the same set of norms for everyone?  

When I presented the idea to my students at the beginning of the year I asked them, "is your 4th grade class the same as the other 4th grade class?" of course they said no.  I also asked them, "who knows best what you need?" naturally they replied, they do. 

I told them that our goal was to create a space where we could all be physically and emotionally safe in our room. 

We treated this as a simple songwriting project, I printed and displayed each classroom norm and posted it in the room. It is part of our class routines to start our music class rapping our norms each day. It has dramatically changed the culture of our classroom and increased accountability. Let me know if you would like to know about the process we used to accomplish this. 

  • Have Choice Days
My students love Choice Days. Along with the creation of their norms, they also had to make decisions on how they wanted to be recognized for maintaining a safe classroom community. Some classrooms were more individualistic and decided they wanted to select a random mystery student each day they were successful. This student gets to go to a treasure box for a prize. Others wanted a day of celebration for the entire class when accumulating a certain amount of days upholding classroom expectations. 

During this day, they get to choose, from a menu of their favorite music activities, how they want to spend their music time. 

Some of these activities include folk dances, music centers, Just Dance parties, music movies, and music games such as silent instruments, pass the beat around, composer or pasta, and opera or cheese, just to name a few. 

Choice Days also offer the opportunity for a great sub-plan as the students are in charge. I do make sure to practice the activities and the Choice Day procedures with them before they experience it with a guest teacher. 

  • Choices, choices, and more choices
After teaching the fundamentals of the instrument we are exploring or the activity we are engaging in, I differentiate for each student by offering multiple entry points. I offer many ways to engage with the material,  and it is up to them to decide what works best for them. 

For example, when teaching ukulele, and after providing instruction on the fundamentals, I always offer a variety of songs for them to choose from. I provide independent practice time individually and with a group. When practicing in a group, they have to navigate how to best play together. Some of them decide to divide the chords of the song between each group member while others tackle all the chords as an ensemble.  I let them decide when they feel they have sufficiently practiced and when they need a break. Finally, after providing the rubric that I will use to track progress, they decide how they want to showcase their progress. 
  • Other low stakes ways are:
    • Have the students suggest songs for the class "happy" playlist. In my classroom, they enter to music playing every day. They enjoy the anticipation of which song we will play that day and set the mood for the day. 
    • Have the students suggest artists to be featured in the wall of accomplished, inspiring, successful musicians.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Music of BBIA Peoples in the General Music and Choir Room

Music of BBIA peoples in the General Music and Choir Room (BBIA stands for Black, Brown, Indigenous, Asian) As the discussion about the inherently racist aspects in the origins of minstrel repertoire continues, I find that I need to create a list of alternative repertoire along with reviewing which songs I will probably not use anymore. In my elementary classroom, there is no space for them. As an elementary teacher, I rarely find the appropriate space to have discussions about specific pieces of music and their historical context of injustice, discrimination, and dehumanization of a race. I also don’t feel I have the tools yet, I am working on it, to guide this kind of discussion with my upper elementary students and their families. For these reasons, I am excluding these pieces from my curriculum.   Stories are important and they help us relate to others' reality and allow for a plethora of diverse voices. For these reasons, I tell you a little bit about me so you can understand

Be an Anti-racist Music Teacher

The current challenges of our society are forcing us, in a good way, to reflect on our teaching philosophy and practices. We are asked to revise our curriculum and our own intercultural competence in order to foster a more culturally responsive classroom. Here is an essential question: How do I become an Anti-Racist teacher? Here is a great definition: Anti-Racist Pedagogy: 1.“It is a pedagogy that is grounded in deep self-interrogation of your role in upholding White Supremacy and internalizations that come from being socialized in a racist society. It evaluates areas of racist thought that result in behaviors that cause students to have to navigate, suppress, and ignore moments or environments where racism is apparent. 2.It is a pedagogy that is undergirded by efforts outside of the classroom that focuses on antiracist engagement. It focuses on changing “policy instead of groups of people.” A Pedagogy for Living by Jason A Dungee. Choral Journal Volume 61 Number 4, 2020 Being more in

Los Palos. A Dominican Musical Expression.

As a culturally responsive, relevant, and ABAR (Anti-Biased Anti-Racist) teacher, my praxis is always evolving. One of my goals is to guide my students through the discovery of their cultural identity. This guided process is aligned with the two SEL Standards of Self-Awareness and Social Awareness, as well as our 2014 Musical Standard of Connecting specifically.  I find that some of my students mistakenly suggest that they “do not have a culture." This misconception is due to their limited view of what culture entails. To them, culture is colorful dresses, beautiful songs, energetic dances, yummy foods, and interesting celebrations. However, this is what we consider to be Surface Culture. As I consider implementing culturally responsive strategies in my teaching, one of the challenges that I typically encounter is how limiting the musical curriculums available to us can be. To address this, I am always asking questions and consulting cultural bearers, community stakeholders, and s