Skip to main content

Where is it?/¿Dónde está? A singing, listening, and seeking game.


Valentine’s day is approaching, and like many educators, I like to take advantage of the excitement my students feel about some celebrations and holidays, which allows me to practice essential musical skills, tailored to also acknowledge the occasion, in a fun and engaging way.

In the past, I used to reinforce singing and listening using contrasting dynamics such as piano and forte by playing a game of hide and seek with my students. For this game of listening, singing, and seeking, I used the song “Lucy Locket.” After learning about the obscure past and the adult theme content of this song, thanks to the Song with a Questionable Past document compiled by Lauren McDougle, I quickly realized that I can no longer use this song in the classroom. I strive to correct course content as I learn new information that can impact my students negatively; simply trying my best to do better.

Last year, my students asked to play the game and I explained that the history behind the song was inappropriate for our classroom and that we would not be singing the song anymore. They expressed their sadness for not being able to play the game they enjoy so much. I joined them in feeling disappointed but reminded them that the integrity of our class is more important. Integrity is one of the expectations we teach in our school as part of our AGUILA (eagle) behavior.

This year, I am very excited because I intend to bring the game back but using a different tune. I love the opportunity of creating two tunes, one in English and another one in Spanish that I can teach to my students and support our bilingual curriculum at the same time. These songs allow the students to practice singing So, La, Mi sounds and the Spanish versions also add Do and quarter and eighth notes rhythms. 
These songs are perfect for the K-3 grades. 

Instructions to play the singing game:
  • Teach the song by rote to your students, introducing it phrase-by-phrase and having your students echo back each phrase. Teach the words and rhythm first, and later add the melody.
  • After the students can comfortably sing the song sitting in a circle, pick an object to hide somewhere in the room. For Valentine’s Day, I had used a stuffed small heart that can be hidden easily around a room with open spaces. I have also used a large envelope with a heart inside. You could hide cards with secret messages such as Valentine’s phrases, or you could include melodic or rhythmic 4-beat patterns, instead…so many possibilities!
  • While a blindfolded student sits in the middle of the circle, another student hides the object you chose somewhere in the room.
  • When the object is out of plain sight, the “seeking student” looks for the object by listening for the dynamics the class uses when singing the song. If the class sings piano, it means the object is far from where they are looking. Conversely, when the class uses crescendo and forte dynamics, it means the student is getting closer to finding the location where the object was hidden. Just like the popular game hot and cold.
  • The student that seeks for the object, after finding it, hides it for a new student that will later look for it, repeating the process until all students get a turn to hide and seek.
You can use this game all year round and you can make it fit any occasion by just switching the objects you use.

Where is it?/¿Dónde está?

A singing, listening, and seeking game









 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Music of BBIA Peoples in the General Music and Choir Room

Music of BBIA peoples in the General Music and Choir Room (BBIA stands for Black, Brown, Indigenous, Asian) As the discussion about the inherently racist aspects in the origins of minstrel repertoire continues, I find that I need to create a list of alternative repertoire along with reviewing which songs I will probably not use anymore. In my elementary classroom, there is no space for them. As an elementary teacher, I rarely find the appropriate space to have discussions about specific pieces of music and their historical context of injustice, discrimination, and dehumanization of a race. I also don’t feel I have the tools yet, I am working on it, to guide this kind of discussion with my upper elementary students and their families. For these reasons, I am excluding these pieces from my curriculum.   Stories are important and they help us relate to others' reality and allow for a plethora of diverse voices. For these reasons, I tell you a little bit about me so you can understand

Be an Anti-racist Music Teacher

The current challenges of our society are forcing us, in a good way, to reflect on our teaching philosophy and practices. We are asked to revise our curriculum and our own intercultural competence in order to foster a more culturally responsive classroom. Here is an essential question: How do I become an Anti-Racist teacher? Here is a great definition: Anti-Racist Pedagogy: 1.“It is a pedagogy that is grounded in deep self-interrogation of your role in upholding White Supremacy and internalizations that come from being socialized in a racist society. It evaluates areas of racist thought that result in behaviors that cause students to have to navigate, suppress, and ignore moments or environments where racism is apparent. 2.It is a pedagogy that is undergirded by efforts outside of the classroom that focuses on antiracist engagement. It focuses on changing “policy instead of groups of people.” A Pedagogy for Living by Jason A Dungee. Choral Journal Volume 61 Number 4, 2020 Being more in

Los Palos. A Dominican Musical Expression.

As a culturally responsive, relevant, and ABAR (Anti-Biased Anti-Racist) teacher, my praxis is always evolving. One of my goals is to guide my students through the discovery of their cultural identity. This guided process is aligned with the two SEL Standards of Self-Awareness and Social Awareness, as well as our 2014 Musical Standard of Connecting specifically.  I find that some of my students mistakenly suggest that they “do not have a culture." This misconception is due to their limited view of what culture entails. To them, culture is colorful dresses, beautiful songs, energetic dances, yummy foods, and interesting celebrations. However, this is what we consider to be Surface Culture. As I consider implementing culturally responsive strategies in my teaching, one of the challenges that I typically encounter is how limiting the musical curriculums available to us can be. To address this, I am always asking questions and consulting cultural bearers, community stakeholders, and s